Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Take aways from Ethiopia, the simple things.

If I could aspire to greet my friends and family like an average Ethiopian, I would show amazing love like most American's have ever known in a greeting!

If I could be a better person by following the example of the Ethiopians, I would learn to embrace like they do. When a person walks into a room, one at a time you circle the room, grabbing the other person, shaking their hand and often kissing their cheeks at least 2 if not 4 times. The Ethiopians ask each other about their families and how they are with all sincerity. Not a person in the room is left out. Each person rises to meet the other and everything stops for such greetings.

The same happens when someone leaves. I have heard even in businesses when someone comes to work that they will greet even 100 people in this way.

Taking the time to really look a friend in the eye. I have to admit, my greetings can some times look like a head nod to the front while picking up toys, cooking, talking on the phone and putting on my socks all at the same time! Okay, maybe that is an exaggeration, but real concern and love for everyone who comes in my front door and who I meet each day. Looking at them directly in they eye and giving a great big hug that says I care. This is something I can be much better at and aspire too.

Thank you Alex for your inspiration and wonderful example.

1 comment:

  1. Amen!! I could not agree more. It is one of the things I missed the most when we left Ethiopia - the closeness of the people.

    Salem no.

    ReplyDelete