Thursday, December 2, 2010

disguised as a police officer

Despite what some might think from reading my stories, although my heart is in the clouds of Africa most of the time, I really do work. Today I was meeting with a favorite client, almost everyone is a favorite because I enjoy people so much! Anyway, I was listing a house for one of my clients and we were done with the paperwork in about 15 minutes but we all lingered and the most amazing conversation transpired. The surfaces slid away.

Officer D. began to tell us about his own heart felt passion. Like most other Americans, he works hard each day and provides for his own family. The option on traveling around the world to rescue children isn't possible. But he didn't let his own circumstances keep him from making a difference, a significant investment with what he already had. Officer D. has a friend in Haiti who helps rescue girls from sexual slavery. He has to go in under cover and pull them out one at a time with out blowing his cover. It is often dangerous work. Officer D. has listened to many of his stories and felt compelled to help his friend. He was able to gather old vests and equipment that would normally have been recycled. His friend for the first time was able to get a large vest that would protect him during a raid. He said that his friend was so encouraged by the gesture and the friendship. It will make a big impact for him and for others making raids.

Our conversation really encouraged me to remember how important it is for each of us to use the opportunities that we have to help others. I think it is easy to look around at others and think they are so much more talented or they have so much more to give or they just have a knack for that....when really all of us have connections in some small way if we are creative and think about it a bit.

It also encouraged me to look, really look and hear the people around me and see through the disguise of their profession, their status, their person. There are so many stories, there are so many generous and caring people around us, sometimes we just need to listen. Slow our day down a bit and listen to each other and really share from our hearts. When stories are shared, we encourage one another...we love...we bring change.

What's your story? Your passion?

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading the posts on your blog. I would like to invite you to come on over to my blog and check it out. God's blessings to you. Lloyd

    ReplyDelete