Wednesday, November 10, 2010

42 days to go...the world is shrinking

One of the fantastic experiences of being exposed to Ethiopia and gaining a renewed passion for helping, is all of the connections that keep popping in my path. It doesn't feel like a coincidence. It began with the whole house garage/Craig's List sale. It seemed like almost everyone who came to purchase something, people who knew nothing of my passions, had some connection with Africa. Many with Ethiopia.

Today is no exception. Shane has been a wonderful support to me and is very excited about our family trip coming up. I mean come on, he was willing to move our family into an "Ethiopian Mansion" when he didn't have to. No elaborate trip to Cancun or Maui, but a trip across the world to Ethiopia and the dump with the proceeds from selling most all of our personal belongings. Whatever didn't fit in the apartment, had to go! BUT, he certainly doesn't live and breathe it like I do. I had him drive me around in NE Portland one night just to see if we could see any signs of Ethiopian culture. We did find a wonderful market where I can by injera and spices.

So back to my experience of today. I met a man named Alex who is Shane's most recent new hire. Guess where Alex is from? Addis Abab Ethiopia. Can you believe it? He won the US lottery, which I didn't know even existed, for a 10 year long term Visa. I just got to meet him today for the first time so I have not grilled him yet on all of the questions I want to ask him! Shane tells me I have to be professional and offer restraint! Okay...so I am trying to be professional as possible but I am so excited I can't hardly stand it. Alex has been here about 8 months and told me he would go with us on our next trip to be our translator! Next trip meaning after the December trip, after all he was just hired and can't ask for time off yet. What are the odds???? Certainly God is smiling down on us. He must have a great sense of humor! This story is TBC (to be continued!).

1 comment: