Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Montessori part 2, my heart is full

What an absolute blast today! If I could skip out of work for an hour everyday to share it with such delightful children, I totally would! We shared together so much. They are like little packages waiting to be opened. You never know the potential of each one of them and the gift they will be to the world. What a privilege to spend time with them and get the opportunity to make an impression on them that could possibly stick with them forever! When I was getting ready to leave, one of the little girls graciously asked for a hug and then told me..."this hug will last with me forever!" Talk about an esteem builder.



PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION...THE BUS STATION


So what did I share?

Tabatha had help me put together a beautiful power point presentation with pictures from my July trip. I discussed with them where Ethiopia is, how I got there and why I went in July in the first place. (Mental note, good idea for a future blog!) I showed them pictures of the transportation, the houses, traditional food, and shopping.



ETHIOPIAN GROCERY STORE

Next we talked about why Ethiopia is so difficult to live and thrive in. We talked about HIV and how many people are so sick. We talked about the dirty water, I even had some in a bottle and asked if anyone wanted a drink! I had 3 of the 24 students stand and tell them they got to go to school and the rest of them had to be workers so their mom could feed the family tonight. The statistic probably isn't accurate but it gives them an idea of how few kids get to go to school. It certainly isn't a given. The lack of education influences the lack of doctors which then ties back into all of the sickness. The poverty and lack of work is also a result of sickness and lack of education. They really paid close attention.



ETHIOPIAN HOUSE

I used the cookie example with them as well. I brought a package of Oreos and had 3 children stand up. I told them they were the USA and the rest of the students were the majority world or Africa. I told them that the three USA kids got the package to share except for 1 cookie which the rest of the students could share. They were all shocked! I seemed nice enough, that wasnt very fair! I explained to them that the USA kids could share but they didn't have to. After all there was plenty to go around, as long as the students shared. It was interesting seeing the response from the kids representing Africa and the kids representing Ethiopia. I asked the USA kids what would happen if they kept the cookies, two said they would get sick. One said he could save them for later. I suggested that sometimes that is what we do as Americans. Eventually the USA kids agreed to share with everyone later at the snack station, where they also got to sample ingera.


After the PP the kids broke into four groups and then they rotated stations. One group colored pictures of Ethiopia and monkeys. Another went to the snack table to sample the ingera and the cookies, a third station had many items I brought back from ET and they tried on the neckaces, looked at paintings and hand woven items. They took turns and I even tied a baby doll on their back with a scarf and commissioned them to walk 5 miles to get dirty water. The final station was my favorite. Remember, I told them that most of them would not have the priviledge of going to school so they would have to go to work today in the class. I set up a shoe shine station and the kids took turns practicing cleaning each others shoes with a little brush and a milk jug.


My favorite Shoe Shine Boy who should have been in School

I was so blessed by their teacher, Kathy Fisher. She was great and capturing their attention and reiterating the points I was trying to make. I could tell she was so excited for us to be there and worked hard to make us feel welcome.

Finally we finished by reading the first chapter of "Take Your Best Shot". It is written from a 9 year old boys perspective. He watched a World Vision video about a little girl Maggie and decided he was going to make a difference. The first chapter is about his "Maggie Moment". I commissioned the children to let this be there Maggie Moment and to really decide to make a difference in the world.

I am hoping to stay in touch with the class...to check back in with them once more before my trip and then again after. I am so thankful that a friend of mine, Claudia, connected me with Cathy and helped to make this happen. More to come...


No comments:

Post a Comment