Monday, November 8, 2010

A teaspoon VS. the Horder's House

I was trying to describe to a friend how overwhelming it feels when you think about the need, my desire to help and the gravity of the circumstances in Ethiopia. Imagine the worst Hoarders TV show edition you have seen. Then, picture yourself standing in front of the house with a teaspoon as your only tool, the crew has graciously allowed you to help out, the only catch is you get only 10 minutes! Holy cow, what could you do in a Horders house in 10 minutes? As noted in previous post, I would probably just start gagging...Seriously, it is overwhelming. Would be so much easier to bow out, to pass by the house, to watch someone else try, to give my condolences etc. Despite all of that, I feel compelled to give the best 10 minutes I can possibly give. I have chosen to go in with eyes wide open and to Embrace Compassion for the city. I am choosing to allow my heart to be vulnerable. The people are by far to valuable. What they have to offer me in relationship, in love, in learning from their strength and their heart it too much to pass up. I will take my 10 minutes and LOVE and be LOVED. Kind of takes the pressure off. I mean, really all I can do is make myself available and then see what God does with it. Then I get to thinking...what if I had 100 friend, 500 friends who all gave 10 minutes. If we had a plan, went as a team, worked in groups, used our unique tools no matter how big or how small...then we might even make a dent on that Horders house...or the poverty and sickness in Ethiopia. Consider it.

No comments:

Post a Comment