Thursday, November 18, 2010

Big faith in a little body.



I was halfway home from picking up the kids from school when Harrison announced, "I forgot my homework!" I asked him if we needed to go back and he said no, he could follow up tomorrow. I asked if he had a test, we already had his 3rd grade packet for the week at home that included spelling words and his memory verse. I couldn't think of what he might have left.

His response befuddled me. He informed me that he had left the notes at school he was going to follow up with. I had to keep questioning...the notes from his meeting with the principal, Mrs. Smith. Really, I thought? I was becoming a little concerned. That is when he finally told me about making an appointment with the principal during his own time to discuss with her what he thought he and the kids from school could do to make a difference in Ethiopia.

I was shocked. I mean, we talk about making an impact and giving our best encouraging others to come beside, but this was my son taking initiative on his own. Even his older sister Kaytlynn was surprised. I could tell she was a little irritated being the competitive girl that she is, that she hadn't thought of that idea first!

Harrison put forth his plan of having small banks in every classroom for the kids to contribute their change. He and Mrs. Smith eventually worked out a plan that included he and Kaytlynn speaking to both the middle school and elementary school chapel.

I was so very proud of both of them yesterday. In addition to a power point with pictures and a video from Korah, here is the script Harrison shared with the kids.



When my mom came back from Ethiopia and told me all about it, I knew I had to help make a difference. I know I can’t do it all by myself. This is why I am asking you! See, my family is going to Ethiopia just after Christmas. I think our school could earn some money for the kids in Ethiopia. This is what I would like to buy or have donated for the kids: small children’s bibles, baby milk, diapers, soccer balls, small toys, pencils, workbooks to practice English and bubble gum. I love bubble gum! Of course money is good because we can buy goats and food for them to eat while we are there. We also can take sick people to the doctor who normally couldn't’t go because they don’t have money to go.
Please look for the jars coming to your classroom soon!


The students really took the message to heart. Today after school he brought home the jar from his classroom almost completely full. He told us about his teacher whose heart was moved by his idea and brought her "date night" savings from her own savings jar.

Another classroom has agreed to sponsor a child.

My heart is full with anticipation of how God is going to use Kaytlynn and Harrison. I am so humbled and feel so inadequate as their parent to walk through this journey with them. I am thankful God is so much bigger than me. Final talies of gifts will be given at Christmas.


4 comments:

  1. It sounds like God is doing some amazing things through your family. He is so loving and cares for these beautiful people. Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jaimie and April Joy for your comments. You are so encouraging!
    Harrison proposed a plan to Shane last night to talk to his employees at work. Shane talked with the big boss today and Harrison has his first public speaking engagement Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh!! That is so exciting!!! I can't wait to hear how it goes!! You all are completely remarkable!! Course I never had any doubts about you.

    ReplyDelete